Assistant Manager, Residence Desk
Queens University - Kingston, ON
- Two-year post-secondary program with 3-5 years experience in supervision and administrative operations, ideally in a unionized environment.
- Knowledge of schedule development and execution.
- Demonstrated experience in recruiting, selecting, supervising and coaching student staff.
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening required.
- Knowledge of University or College residential environment an asset.
- Experience in Customer Service/Hospitality Industry an asset.
- Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Plans, prioritizes and manages the work of employees, providing strategic and tactical advice, guidance and coaching. Identifies the need for staff resources, participates on staffing committees, and makes effective recommendations regarding employee selection.
- Manages performance by establishing performance standards, reviewing and evaluating performance and conducting formal performance reviews on an ongoing basis.
- Assesses staff training and development needs, and ensures that employees receive training required to improve and sustain successful performance.
- Investigates, addresses and resolves employee/labour relations issues, including disciplinary matters. Makes decisions or effective recommendations on matters involving possible discipline, discharge and probationary termination.
- Manages and optimizes the coverage of the 5 residence desks by developing & executing weekly schedules incorporating the school year & summer business.
- Organizes, schedules and maintains daily operational and administrative requirements of the Residence front desks.
- Provides communication, consultation and advisory support to desk staff for escalated issues and responds to inquiries ensuring most efficient solutions.
- Responsible for Desk Website content, evaluating and maintaining web pages. Administers Desk Listserve.
- Responsible for mail and parcel receipt and internal delivery. Works closely with campus and community partners (ie. delivery services) to coordinate processes.
- Collaborates with stakeholders within the H&A portfolio to meet the operational demands of the dual mandate – academic year student housing and summer conference business.
- Establishes & maintains level of quality control and consistency for front desk operations
- Troubleshoots day-to-day operational needs as they arise as well as engages additional support when required. Recommend and track solutions, ensuring resolution.
- Approves expenditure of funds for desk supplies
- Actively works towards continuous improvement of policies and procedures to increase departmental efficiencies.
- Creates a climate where collaboration and teamwork among diverse people and groups is the norm.
- Respects diversity and promotes inclusion in the workplace.
- Responsible for recruitment, selection, hiring, placement and assessment of casual desk staff
- Organize and deliver academic and summer training programs.
- Undertakes other duties as delegated in support of the department.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (both verbal and written) to deal with a wide variety of individuals in a professional manner and to provide clear and accurate information.
- Analytical, interpretive and problem-solving skills to examine a number of alternative possibilities and arrive at the best solution.
- Strong computer skills and ability to learn new software as required
- Superior organizational skills and a high degree of initiative.
- Capacity to work independently and as part of a team, mindful of the interests of other stakeholders
- Leadership and motivational skills. Sensitivity to issues affecting performance or staff.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusivity.
- Client service aptitude with the ability to maintain a service-oriented perspective while dealing with potentially challenging client service demands.
- Sound supervising, coaching and team building skills.
- Organizational and time-management skills, to coordinate the work of others as well as oneself.
- Ability to remain level headed, resolve multiple challenges and requests in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Capable of remaining adaptable and ensuring a high level of attention to detail in an environment constantly subjected to interruption and change.
- Discretion in dealing with confidential matters.
- Identify and make recommendations regarding office administration procedures; suggest and implement changes to increase effectiveness. (e.g. policy changes impacting procedures / desk manuals).
- Make recommendations on the planning and execution of strategies to improve the front desk service to meet the changing needs of the community.
- Evaluates job candidates and makes effective recommendations on suitable hires.
- Makes decisions and/or effective recommendations regarding transfers and promotions.
- Evaluates employee performance and decides on appropriate training or coaching to address lack of proficiency in carrying out responsibilities, or remedial action for staff disciplinary situations.
- Assesses investigation outcome of grievances and makes effective recommendations on appropriate course of action or next steps on grievances.
- Makes effective recommendations on level of discipline up to discharge and probationary termination.
- Decides whether a problem warrants notification to others.
- Approve expenditure of funds for cleaning supplies
- Determines how to organize and prioritize ones’ work schedule and the work of others.
- Identifies potential inefficiencies and other opportunities for operational improvement.
- Determines resolution on routine operational matters.
Queen’s Residence Life and Services is committed to providing an experience aimed at fostering the educational and personal growth of its residents. The Queen’s Residence Life and Services staff team is dedicated to the development of the whole student, promoting diversity, accountability, independence and success in a broader learning environment.
Reporting to the Director, Residence Life & Services (Housing & Ancillary Services) the Assistant Manager, Residence Desk is responsible for leading staff in a unionized environment, and managing the daily operations and the overall coordination of Residence Front Desk Services. The successful candidate will be responsible for promoting and maintaining an inclusive, service-oriented environment for staff and students.
Queen’s Residences currently staff five 24-hour front desks during the academic year. Desk staff are often the first point of contact and provide a variety of services to students, staff, guests and the general public. The desks support both the Academic and Event Services Conference Program.
The schedule for this position requires the incumbent to work variable hours, including occasional evenings and weekends.
Type of Job: Full Time,
Hourly Wage/Salary: To Be Discussed
Hours: 35 hours per week
Closes: Dec 02, 2020
To apply follow these instructions
APPLICANTS PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW:
The information contained in this job advertisement has been provided by an external employer. META Employment Services is not responsible for the accuracy, authenticity or reliability of the content.
If you require a Meta job posting translated into French, please advise the Resource and Information staff.