Caretaker (1 Yr Term)
Queen's University - Kingston, ON
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent with the ability to read and write in English
- Willingness and ability to understand and follow instructions
- Mechanical skills to clean and set-up equipment like a floor cleaning machine
- Must be willing and able to work in a team environment that respects the point of view of others
- Valid Ontario Class G driver’s license
- Willingness and ability to work with people at all levels (e.g., front line staff, managers, senior administrators, etc.)
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check and a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check
- Must be physically capable of performing the job duties noted below.*
- Follow all appropriate safety practices
- Show good work habits
- Commit to client satisfaction – you care that your work is done well
- Respect diversity and promote inclusion in our workplace
- Learn and practice new skills
- Maintain a positive and professional attitude
- Are courteous and caring while creating a safe and welcoming environment for members of the university community, conference organizers, students and guests
- Embrace our values: Professional, Respectful and Responsible, Integrity, Dependable, Effective and Efficient
- Daily cleaning and maintaining of residence buildings in a homelike environment during the academic year including cleaning rooms, halls, stairwells, kitchens common rooms and washrooms and during conference season, which also includes bed making.
- Clean and sanitize washrooms, fixtures and fittings;
- Vacuum and shampoo carpets and upholstery;
- Sweep, dust-mop and damp mop all floor surfaces;
- Strip, seal, wax and spray buff all floors;
- Operate a variety of floor machinery;
- Collect garbage, clean glass and walls and move furniture;
- Report losses damages, repairs and infractions of residence regulations;
- Maintain a clean and healthy environment in the residence buildings
*The University has policies in place to support its employees with disabilities, including an Accommodation in the Workplace Policy and a policy on the provision of job accommodations that take into account an employee’s accessibility needs due to disability.
Queen’s is a residential university with ~95% of the student population coming from outside of Kingston. More than 90% of first-year students live in residence (residence is guaranteed for first-years). Queen’s is home to students from more than 100 countries and a number of upper-year, graduate and professional, exchange and transfer students. Queen’s has seventeen student residences, each with a unique and thriving community. For one-third of the year, Event Services, Residences and Hospitality Services operates and supports a thriving conference business providing a critical source of revenue to the university. Our facilities team plays a crucial role in supporting both the academic year and conference season by providing a clean, safe, and healthy environment. Our facilities staff also plays an important role as ambassadors for the university. Their daily contact with students, faculty, staff and visitors helps the university to be a welcoming and friendly place.
Residences (Housing & Ancillary Services) is now hiring full-time continuing Caretakers to join the Facilities Team. Caretakers perform a range of cleaning duties and work various shifts and work weeks. In addition to competitive wages that increase with service, Caretakers may be eligible for shift premiums and a wide range of other employee programs such as; pension, benefits, workwear, tuition support, childcare support plan, and a variety of other work/life wellness programs. Further information can be found on the human resources website: http://www.queensu.ca/humanresources/home
If you have the qualities of a successful Caretaker and meet the minimum qualifications, take the first step and apply now!
Type of Job: Full Time, Temporary,
Hourly Wage/Salary: $16.30 per hour
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closes: Aug 05, 2020
To apply follow these instructions
Application, please follow the link below
Please click the following link and apply to Job number J0720-1038 and/or J0720-1039, depending on your shift preference. https://queensu.njoyn.com/cl4/xweb/Xweb.asp?tbtoken=YFxcRR8XCGl1ZAEHQlUiCCNNd2dEcCdfdUhZVC0KExApWEcSLDEcdhdxcgkbUxFaS3cqWA%3D%3D&chk=ZVpaShw%3D&page=joblisting&CLID=74827
The information contained in this job advertisement has been provided by an external employer. META Employment Services is not responsible for the accuracy, authenticity or reliability of the content.
If you require a Meta job posting translated into French, please advise the Resource and Information staff.