Queens University - Kingston, ON
Reporting to the assigned Area Manager, trades, the Controls Mechanic will trouble shoot HVAC control issues and implement building automation system (BAS) control changes to further improve the operations and efficiency of the 100+ buildings on Queen’s University’s campus. The HVAC system generally consists of air handling units, boilers, steam-water converters, chillers, valves, pumps, drives, variable air volume boxes, and instrumentation equipment.
The successful candidate must be willing to work overtime, respond to call-ins outside of normal working hours, and work afternoon/evening shifts as required.
Candidate success is based on a good work ethic, ability to learn and practice new skills, embracing Physical Plant Services’ mission and values, and respecting diversity and promoting inclusion in the workplace.
- Sound knowledge of the occupational hazards of trades work and of the necessary safety precautions. Ability to follow safe working procedures in accordance with applicable safety policy, procedures and regulations
- Accredited Instrumentation Engineering Technology diploma from a community college, required
- Several years of relevant trades experience in a commercial, construction or industrial setting
- Must be conversant with computers and computer-controlled systems
- Experience and knowledge of HVAC systems
- Understanding of electrical theory, instrumentation theory, and process control fundamentals
- Possess valid Ontario Class G driver’s license, required
- Knowledge of applicable municipal and provincial codes and regulations
- Ability to work in a respectful way with others in the workplace
- Ability to effectively carry out tasks of the trade in an effectively and timely way
- Ability to work effectively independently and efficiently with other trades and university staff and students
- Ability to work within the operational and safety policies and procedures of PPS
- Skill in the safe use and maintenance of tools and equipment of the trade
- Ability learn and use required software systems such as the computerized maintenance management system, email and the University’s Human Resources website MyHR.
- Ability to learn and use a two way radio system effectivel
- Ability to perform the physical demands of the job.*
- The successful candidates will be required to produce a satisfactory Criminal Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screen as a condition of employment
*The University has policies in place to support its employees with disabilities, including an Accommodation in the Workplace Policy and a policy on the provision of job accommodation that takes into account an employee’s accessibility needs due to disability.
- Work safely in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its applicable regulations as well as adhering to Queen’s and PPS Safety Policies and Procedures
- Install, maintain and configure control and process systems
- Calibrate, commission, configure, install, and troubleshoot fume Hoods, pneumatic, electrical, mechanical, and analytical instrumentation devices
- Utilize computers and computer-controlled systems: Siemens, Delta, Automated Logic, etc.
- Respond to assigned service requests and perform preventative maintenance routines on building control systems
- Document and manage workflow through the computerized Maintenance Management System
- Work with Store Personnel to obtain and document required parts and supplies
- Be accountable for timely and effective completion of assigned tasks
- Be a positive team member, who recognizes the value of diversity in the workplace
Type of Job: Full Time,
Hourly Wage/Salary: To be discussed
Hours: 35 hours per week
Closes: Oct 28, 2020
To apply follow these instructions
Applicants Please Follow The Link Below:
The information contained in this job advertisement has been provided by an external employer. META Employment Services is not responsible for the accuracy, authenticity or reliability of the content.
If you require a Meta job posting translated into French, please advise the Resource and Information staff.