Environmental Health & Safety Coordinator
Berry Global - Belleville, ON
- Degree/Diploma in areas of safety
- Requires 3-4 years of experience in the EH&S or related area in a manufacturing environment
- CRSP – Canadian Registered Safety Professional or equivalent preferred
- Experienced with standard concepts, practices and procedures regarding environmental, health and safety and WSIB programs
- AIB/BRC/ISO or food safety experience an asset
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Above average computer skills and the ability to learn new systems
- Familiar with OSHA requirements would be an asset
- Willingness to travel
- Safety Leadership – embodies commitment for a safe workplace; acts as a role model on safety leadership, activities and communication
- Accountability – holds self-accountable evidenced by say/do ratio, initiative and ownership actions (such as ensuring safety is more important than productivity)
- Communication – ability to communicate safety, goals and company expectations with appropriate levels of the organization; create clear, timely audience appropriate messages (both written and verbal)
- Engagement – communicate and support the vision of plant leadership; celebrate the wins, and ensure employees actively participate in safety-related activities
- Team Development – understand the development needs of employees in the organization; drive the culture of employees as safety leaders; champion talent development from pre-hire to continuous learning
People Agility – Understand personal strengths and weaknesses; leads by example; promotes change through listening skills and seeking frequent input from employees; is genuine and approachable; firm but fair – consistent
Problem Solving/Conflict Resolution – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; mitigates relationship conflicts and encourages constructive (problem-solving) conflictDownload Posting
The EHS division is a group of professionals who help develop the environmental health and safety requirements of each site to ensure the safety of all employees and certify the site is compliant with government regulations/requirements. As a member of this team, you will be responsible for the training and implementation of Health and Safety programs/guidelines to help Berry Global realize its goal of zero injuries to all employees. As a key member of the team, you will report to the Multi-site EHS Manager, Canada and work closely with business units, functional leaders, and the executive leadership team.
- Develop, understand, comply and enforce company safety policies, procedures and safety regulations.
- Plans and implements safety policies and procedures in compliance with health and safety legislation and regulations
- Champions health and safety activities and education within the company and ensures safety procedures are followed
- Conducts and leads Health & Safety meetings with members, tracks issues and works towards resolutions with departments as required
- Ensure that the Company environmental standards are met
- Administers and manages all occupational injuries/illnesses working with other departments on return to work activities and modified work programs
- Plans, implements and coordinates programs to train managers and employees in work site safety practices, fire prevention, and correct handling techniques for chemicals, toxins, equipment, and other materials
- Prepares studies and analyses of industrial accident causes and hazards to health for use by company personnel and outside agencies
- Inspects organization facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, determines corrective or preventative measures where indicated, and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented
- Provides information, signs, posters, barriers, and other materials to warn of potential and actual safety hazards and to prevent access to hazardous conditions
- Leads the investigation of accidents and injuries and cooperates in the preparation of material and evidence for organization use in hearings, lawsuits, and insurance investigations
- Conduct incident investigations including “root cause analysis” for corrective action in conjunction with the supervisor/Department Manager
- Compiles and submits accident reports required by regulatory agencies
- Oversees the administration of workers’ compensation program, including working with the insurance carrier to reduce employee lost time
- Addresses issues that arise during job progress
- Maintains accurate and complete EH&S records and databases in accordance with governing regulations and company policies
- Measure plant safety benchmarking against best in class manufacturing and leadership role to create and implement plans to improve performance
- Encourage and maintain high employee involvement in safety and health systems including safety audits
- Conduct EH&S program training for new hires and conduct required annual training.
- Utilize Berry GDC system for reporting of all incidents and near miss events
- Perform worksite and incident trend analysis to sustain a comprehensive system for hazard prevention and control
- Responsible for preparing, maintaining and updating environmental policies, procedures and manuals
- Ensures compliance with all EH&S regulations/standards, and keeps abreast of any changes to laws and regulations that impact the organization
- Serves as contact with all federal, provincial and local regulatory bodies
- Perform other duties as may be assigned
This Job Description is a summary of the job duties and responsibilities that represent the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be complete in detail. Individuals classified in this job are expected to perform all the essential duties and responsibilities identified herein, and occasionally may be required or assigned to perform duties and responsibilities that are not included within this Job Description.
Although certain positions have specific tasks and responsibilities with respect to food safety, the food safety and quality of all products manufactured by Berry Global is, in general, the responsibility of every Berry Global employee.
Type of Job: Full Time,
Hourly Wage/Salary: To Be Determined
Closes: Jun 05, 2020
The information contained in this job advertisement has been provided by an external employer. META Employment Services is not responsible for the accuracy, authenticity or reliability of the content.
If you require a Meta job posting translated into French, please advise the Resource and Information staff.