Manager, Finance and Administration
Queens University - Kingston, ON
Queen’s University’s Human Resources Department is seeking a dynamic business professional who thrives in a role with diverse responsibilities, to take on the exciting and challenging role of Manager, Finance and Administration.
Reporting to the Associate Vice-Principal, Human Resources (AVPHR), this position is one of a trusted advisor who is a strategically minded change agent, enjoys working with individuals across a complex organization, and who has experience managing budgets and preparing communication. In addition this role require a skilled individual who has experience providing guidance and support to executives on the creation of departmental strategies, polices and procedures. Under the direction of the AVPHR and in cooperation with the HR Leadership team, this position will provide the successful candidate with an opportunity to contribute to the HR Department’s annual and long-range planning and to align and manage the HR Administration team to best support the Department in its delivery of High Quality HR services. Additionally, this position actively takes part in projects/committees across Queen’s University, providing the incumbent exposure to a broad range of key organizational initiatives.
If you feel that you have the skills, experience and qualifications, as well as the professional interests outlined in this position summary, we encourage you to apply.
Reporting to the Associate Vice-Principal Human Resources (AVPHR) the Manager, Finance and Administration, in collaboration with the AVPHR, is responsible for the development, direction, implementation, and analysis of the financial, staffing and administrative plans for the Human Resources (HR) Department. The Manager, Finance and Administration will coordinate and prepare HR communications to the University community and department, and will provide advice to the AVPHR on departmental strategy, policies and procedures. As a key member of the HR leadership team, the Manager, Finance and Administration will participate in the development of annual and long-term plans, and will provide strategic support and analysis on many issues. The Manager, Finance and Administration will coordinate and support the development of the Department’s annual and long-term budgets, and manage the department’s budget, space and facilities.
The Manager, Finance and Administration will provide leadership and direction to a team of HR administrative support staff that provide front level support across various HR units and to the AVP (HR).
- As a member of the HR Leadership Team, participates in the development of annual and long-term plans.
- Manage the day-to-day financial processes for the department. Administer departmental accounts, monitor account activity and ensure the accuracy and validity of account transactions. Verify that all claims and expenditures are in accordance with University policy and generally accepted accounting practice.
- Develop and maintain a variety of financial reports on an on-going basis; prepare quarterly reports and financial forecasts to meet operational and strategic planning requirements for the department and the University.
- Provide financial analysis in support of current and long-range planning, taking into account implications of commitments related to special projects and staff leaves, retirements, terminations and secondments.
- Review financial policies, internal controls and systems and recommend changes to improve efficiency, standardization and effectiveness.
- Working with the AVPHR and the Office of the Vice-Principal (Finance and Administration), develops annual budget forecasts, meeting submission deadlines and coordinates overall department budget integration.
- Acts as lead for departmental procurement initiatives and functions as the primary liaison with Financial Services, Procurement Services and the Budget Office.
- Coordinate the distribution of electronic and written communications.
- Create and manage the content of the HR department’s website.
- Responsible for development and logistical support of leadership team and departmental staff meetings.
- Lead or support special projects or department activities on behalf of the AVP (HR) as required.
- Provide project management services for institutional HR-led events such as The Principal’s Holiday Reception, and the annual Service Awards celebrations.
- Assumes responsibility for the overall administration of special projects assigned. Consults, advises and leads team members, develop project plans, and monitors progress towards desired outcomes. Establishes project schedules; discusses, advises and suggests appropriate modifications; interprets policy and recommends changes or clarifications; and ensures expectations are met.
- Manages space, facilities, furniture, and telephones for the department. Manage any office moves including developing and managing a project plan and budget, liaising with University space planners, selecting vendors, communicating with affected staff and ensuring the move is executed on plan and on budget.
- Ensure critical and sensitive matters are prioritized and handled expeditiously based on in-depth knowledge of the AVPHR’s priorities.
- Lead the direction and development of the AVPHR’s routine correspondence, and supports drafting of complex correspondence, to ensure relevant and timely information.
- Oversee the maintenance of a bring-forward system to ensure the AVPHR is alerted to approaching deadlines and commitments.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of University policies and procedures, hierarchy and protocols to ensure meetings, events, etc. are prioritized accordingly.
- Provide research support to the AVPHR, compiling background information, gathering materials, writing reports, and preparing briefing notes and presentations for a variety of applications and audiences.
- On behalf of the AVPHR, triage issues to determine action requirements. Liaise with HR Directors to facilitate resolution of issues and ensure follow-up in resolution action plans.
- Develop and manage HR communications to the University community and department for the AVP HR and HR Directors.
- Acts as a trusted advisor to the AVPHR on confidential and sensitive matters.
- Other duties as assigned by the AVPHR.
LEADERSHIP OF HR ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT TEAM:
- Lead, manage, and develop a team of HR Administrative support staff.
- Plan, prioritize and manage the work of employees, providing strategic and tactical advice, guidance and coaching. Identify the need for staff resources, participate on staffing committees, and make effective recommendations regarding employee selection.
- Manage performance by establishing performance standards, reviewing and evaluating performance and conducting formal performance reviews on an ongoing basis.
- Assess staff training and development needs, and ensure that employees receive training required to improve and sustain successful performance.
- Investigate, address and resolve employee/labour relations issues, including disciplinary matters. Make decisions or effective recommendations on matters involving possible discipline, discharge and probationary termination.
- University degree (preferably in Business)
- Proven experience in the administration of budgets.
- Experience providing executive support in the capacity of trusted advisor
- Several years of progressively responsible management experience, including planning and project responsibilities, and the supervision of staff.
- Must have good organizational and planning abilities; extremely well-developed written and verbal communication skills to effectively work with a diverse group of people. Must be a team player.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel for the purposes of financial planning and analysis is required. Experience with PeopleSoft is an asset.
- Knowledge of human resources best practices and processes is an asset.
- Completion of a professional accounting designation is considered as asset.
- Consideration may be given to equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Superior interpersonal, organization and time-management skills with the ability to cope with multiple demands, manage competing priorities, meet multi-faceted deadlines and deal with confidential material on a regular basis with discretion.
- Ability to interact with people at all levels of the University with the highest professional standards of conduct and with acute sensitivity to the political environment.
- Excellent judgment and clear and precise communication skills; written, verbal listening and presentation, including a high degree of diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Advanced computer skills with proficiency in using a variety of information technology tools and the ability to identify and adopt new tools to support effective administrative operations
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills through researching and analyzing complex problems involving multiple relationships and interactions, where information is incomplete, missing or ambiguous, and pulls diverse information together into a proposal that provides possible solutions.
- Sound project management skills with the ability to plan and coordinate multiple project/work initiatives effectively simultaneously.
- Initiative and self-motivation; ability to participate in and lead teams; experience organizing and coordinating efforts with many stakeholders and multiple objectives.
- Highly developed skills in finance; the ability to communicate numerical data in plain language.
- Ability to identify areas of development within the administrative support team, as well as create an action plan and deliver results.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a complex environment, in a collaborative and collegial manner, using highly developed relationship building, influencing, and negotiating skills to secure commitment and achieve results.
- Good judgement and instincts, combined with the ability to grasp concepts and ideas quickly and to always work effectively with the context of the big picture, integrity, professionalism, confidence, tact, and compassion.
- Assess implications of changes in the financial landscape of the department and the University that will have bearing or impact on HR affairs and the HR strategic direction and operation, and recommend changes to HR budget structure or financial processes as appropriate.
- Determine most effective approach for complex financial planning and management, and work in consultation with the AVPHR and the HR Directors on matters relating to financial strategy and practices.
- Decide on best alternatives or a range of solutions to a given problem, identifying potential risks and benefits to each.
- Determine content and appropriate format of correspondence, reports and proposals.
- Determine appropriate research approach and relevant information to include in reports and briefings.
- Decide how to proceed and who to work with for each project or initiative.
- Decide on work prioritization and time-management.
- Determine how to resolve issues relating to overdue invoices/payments, incorrect cost centres, and provide advice to other HR financial users.
- Evaluates job candidates and makes effective recommendations on suitable hires.
- Makes decisions and/or effective recommendations regarding transfers and promotions.
- Evaluates employee performance and decides on appropriate training or coaching to address lack of proficiency in carrying out responsibilities, or remedial action for staff disciplinary situations.
- Assesses investigation outcome of grievances and makes effective recommendations on appropriate course of action or next steps on grievances.
- Makes effective recommendations on level of discipline up to discharge and probationary termination.
APPLICANTS PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW:
Type of Job: Full Time,
Closes: Nov 24, 2019
The information contained in this job advertisement has been provided by an external employer. META Employment Services is not responsible for the accuracy, authenticity or reliability of the content.
If you require a Meta job posting translated into French, please advise the Resource and Information staff.