Queens University - Kingston, ON
People from across Canada and around the world come to learn, teach and conduct research at Queen’s University. Steamfitters in Physical Plant Services (PPS) support their success by ensuring that steam and process piping systems serving teaching and research functions are operating as required. Trades staff like our Steamfitters play an important role as ambassadors for the university. Their daily contact with students, faculty, staff and visitors helps the university to be a welcoming and friendly place.
PPS is now hiring a Steamfitter to fill a continuing appointment, who will join the PPS Maintenance Team. In addition to competitive wages, Steamfitters are eligible for a wide range of other employee programs such as pension, health and dental benefits, work wear, tuition support, childcare support plan, and a variety of other work/life wellness programs. Further information can be found on the human resources website: http://www.queensu.ca/humanresources/home
If you have the qualities of a successful Steamfitter and want to make a difference at one of Canada’s leading post-secondary institutions then take the first step and apply now.
- Sound knowledge of the occupational hazards of trades work and of the necessary safety precautions. Ability to follow safe working procedures in accordance with applicable safety policy, procedures and regulations
- Certification as a Steamfitter, active member of Ontario College of Trades
- Several years of experience in the repair and maintenance of both high and low pressure team systems, cooling and heating systems and process piping.
- Possess valid Ontario Class G driver’s license
- Working knowledge of instrumentation and control systems
- Knowledge of applicable municipal and provincial codes and regulations
- Ability to work in a respectful way with others in the workplace
- Ability to effectively carry out tasks of the trade in an effectively and timely way
- Ability to work effectively independently and efficiently with other trades and university staff and students
- Ability to work within the operational and safety policies and procedures of PPS
- Skill in the safe use and maintenance of tools and equipment of the trade
- Ability learn and use required software systems such as the computerized maintenance management system, email and the University’s Human Resources website MyHR
- Ability to learn and use a two way radio system effectively
- Ability to perform the physical demands of the job*
- The successful candidates will be required to produce a satisfactory Criminal Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screen as a condition of employment
Reporting to the assign Area Manager, the Steamfitter will install, repair and/or trouble shooting of low and high pressure steam systems, steam traps, steam safety equipment, heating and cooling, compressed air systems.
The successful candidate must be willing to work overtime, respond to call-ins outside of normal working hours, and work afternoon/evening shifts as required.
The Steamfitters success is based on a good work ethic, ability to learn and practice new skills, embracing Physical Plant Services’ mission and values, and respecting diversity and promoting inclusion in the workplace.
- Work safely in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its applicable regulations as well as adhering to Queen’s and PPS Safety Policies and Procedures.
- Repair and troubleshooting:
- Low and high pressure steam systems
- Steam traps
- Steam safety equipment
- Heating and cooling
- Compressed air systems
- Document and manage workflow through the computerized Maintenance Management System
- Work with Store Personnel to obtain and document required parts and supplies
- Be accountable for timely and effective completion of assigned tasks
- Be a positive team member, who recognizes the value of diversity in the workplace
*The University has policies in place to support its employees with disabilities, including an Accommodation in the Workplace Policy and a policy on the provision of job accommodation that takes into account an employee’s accessibility needs due to disability.
Type of Job: Full Time,
Hourly Wage/Salary: To be determined
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closes: Jan 26, 2020
To apply follow these instructions
Applicants Please Follow the Link Below:
The information contained in this job advertisement has been provided by an external employer. META Employment Services is not responsible for the accuracy, authenticity or reliability of the content.
If you require a Meta job posting translated into French, please advise the Resource and Information staff.